Wednesday, April 26, 2017

How to clear existing data

Hello Valers,

As some of you noticed, I tend, with a few exceptions, to publish every new release of the spreadsheet with my own data.
The reasons are threefold:
 1. I test as much as possible the spreadsheet before releasing it: entering my own data helps me troubleshoot it.
 2. Some users have asked to leave my data and not remove it as it explains and serves as a guide as to what to fill and where.
 3. To be honest, I'm lazy :-) It takes time to upload the file, write a post, list all that has changed, and I'm not even counting the time it tales to implement new features, correct bugs, search forums for help on unusual formulaes and test it all. Removing my data takes a little bit too much of time.

I'll be publishing a poll after the current one to ask what you think and take action based on that.
One of the options will be to put a button to "clear all", but that will involve a macro and I really don't want to go that way for many reasons (including but not limited to security - people tend to avoid excel files with macros because of potential viruses - and the time it requires to troubleshoot it as macros are not universal and may not work on all versions of excel)

Meanwhile, I have found this tutorial that explains quite well how to erase all the data:
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/delete-unprotected-cells-excel-spreadsheet-42189.html

I have tried it and it works. It takes a couple of minutes, but you'll be with a fresh sheet in no time.

Hope this helps and thank you for your understanding

No comments:

Post a Comment